When your printouts are getting faded, it’s time to check your printer ink levels. It may be an indication to change your cartridge. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get the exact ink levels in the cartridges because most times, the indication is the estimate of the ink volume and they show less ink than it’s remaining.
There’s a need to check ink levels regularly to know the estimate of ink levels remaining. When you identify low ink levels, buy a new set of printer ink cartridges in-hand, for replacement of the old ones.
Generally, to check printer ink levels of any printer brand, take the following steps:
- Click Start Menu and search for Devices and Printers
- Open the Devices and Printers, a dialogue box will show all the printers connected to the computer
- Click the printer you want to check the ink levels, and the ink levels would appear at the status area below the devices and printers section. You can click the ink icon for further information.
Common brands of printer and how to check the ink levels
There are quite many printers out there with different approaches to check the ink levels. Let us examine some of the common printers and how to check their ink levels (volume).
How to check printer ink levels of HP printer
(Using Control Panel)
- Step 1: Go to Control Panel, you will see ink drop icon or cartridge icon, click on it, this action will enable you to see estimated ink levels
(Using HP Smart app on Windows)
- Step 1: Download the HP smart app
- Step 2: Add your printer to view ink levels
(Using HP Print and Scan Doctor on Windows)
- Step 1: Download and run HP Print and scan Doctor
- Step 2: Select your printer, click Printer on the top Menu Bar
- Step 3: From the drop-down, click Supply levels
(Using Printer Software on Windows)
- Step 1: Search Windows for HP, click your printer name,(HP Solution Center)
- Step 2: Click Maintain Your Printer, you will see the estimated ink levels
(For Laser Printer)
- Step 1: Search Windows for Easy Printer Manager
- Step 2: Then Click, HP Easy Printer Manager, you will see ink levels (supply) information.
How to Check printer ink levels of a Dell Printer
- Step 1: Go to Control Panel
- Step 2: Click Devices and Printers, under hardware and sound, click your printer
- Step 3:From printer options, you will see services tab
- Step 4: Click Dell ink levels
- Step 5: Print test page, to see printing levels
How to Check Printer Ink Levels of a Canon Printer
- Step 1: Click the Canon Ij status on the monitor
- Step 2: Click the maintenance tab, this will take you to the view printer status screen
- Step 3: Here, you will see the ink levels on the pop-up screen
- Step 4: For more information, click ink details and you will see the ink levels
How to Check Printer Ink Levels in a Kodak Printer
- Step 1: Check the LCD Dashboard of the Printer
- Step 2: From the Dashboard, press the home icon
- Step 3: Click the right arrow, this takes you to maintenance
- Step 4: From here, you can check the ink levels
In any case, whenever, you notice the ink of your printouts fading away, remember this is an indication to change your ink printer cartridge.